Monday, March 7, 2011

Deja Vu All Over Again

So, here I am again.  Humbly going over my past mistakes and regrets, and looking forward to putting them back where they belong - in the past.

At the age of 50 and a half, I'm starting over again. The last time I did this for real was after my divorce in 1991.  I was 31 years old.  I lost my home and husband, lived with family, and looked for work so that I could get back on my feet.  I did it then, and I'll do it again.  This time, the heartache focuses not on a relationship lost, but a sense of lost "normalcy."  I am back living with family and am researching a new career: one utilizing my writing skills.

Things that seemed important to me when I was 31 don't seem as much so now.  It was all about making money and having fun.  What money I made I spent, and I had a great deal of fun.  Now, at 50, I'm thinking less about making money and more about lowering my cost of living.  I used to live for drinking and partying, but now I really prefer to be in bed by 10.  I was a consummate urban girl and loved living in the heart of Dallas; now I'm seriously considering not just staying put in small town Denton, Texas, but perhaps moving further out.

When I was at the (unknown to me at the time) end of my former life, I kept praying for change.  "Please change my life - in a big way!"  Well, careful what you ask for.  'Nuff said.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment