Monday, March 21, 2011

Little House on the Prairie

So, when is an opportunity a real opportunity?  Seems I have the opportunity to rent a real house, with a yard, for a steal of a rent deal.  Problem is, it's in the middle of nowhere.  East Jesus, as we say.  Do I do it?  Chance to have a house again with no adjoining walls, and a yard for birds and a garden.  And barely a prayer of a job.

Or, a job an hour's drive away, that is if I don't want to work at Walmart.  I don't shop at Walmart, much less want to work there.

Much easier to get a job in the city of Dallas, but can I afford to live there?  It's occurred to me that my life was always set between Oak Lawn/Highland Park and Oak Cliff.  I'm not sure I can even afford to live in Oak Cliff anymore!  And it's changed so much - my home, which is now a house that's been prepared to "flip," isn't even a house I'd want to live in anymore.

This was Spring at my house last year:






This was my house that I lost last summer to foreclosure.  All of this greenery and flowers are gone. It was bought by a Mexican broker who evidently didn't value trees and shrubs.  It's good, in a way, because it no longer looks anything at all like My House.  Hurts less to look at it than if it looked like it used to.

If I move back to Dallas, it will most likely be in a crappy apartment.  If I move into East Jesus, I'll have a yard again.  Lots to think about and explore online.  And pray.  Pray for at least a pleasant job that will allow me to live quietly and peacefully.  I no longer expect to have work that I love - just work that is pleasant enough and will keep me able to live independently.

What in the world has happened to us?

1 comment:

  1. What about Knox-Henderson?...sort of the third angle to the H.P. - O.L. triangle $500-600 for a very livable relaxed neighborhood... Plenty of job access... Beautiful greenery flowers & such up & down the Katy Trail (sorta like your own yard but no maintenance ;) Lots of beautiful parks around... more options than you think. Keep the dream alive and follow your heart and instincts my friend. Peace...

    ReplyDelete