Monday, May 3, 2010

What Life Coaching Is and What It Shouldn't Be

This has been on my mind alot lately.

I have a reputation for not suffering foolishness gladly, if at all. I am beyond nauseated at the proliferation of self-help seminars, webinars, workshops, etc. that promise to use some secret that allows us to attract good luck just by wishing for it (and you know what I'm talking about). Yes, I believe that our own positive, loving energy and that of others can manifest change in our lives. I believe that good works are their own reward. And I believe that there's a sucker born every minute and some charlatan ready to take her money.

A good life coaching relationship benefits both the coach and the coached, through the sharing of experience and mutual respect. A life coach is supposed to lead you to insight - not tell you what to do. Nor is a coach ever to tell you that what you're doing is all wrong.

We Life Coaches are, at best, intuitives with a love of and interest in our fellow human beings, taking fulfillment from guiding fellow travelers through our hard-won wisdom. At worst, we are profiteers who offer the promise of joy, wealth, perfect love, etc. with little regard for the fallout after the first flush of success fades. As I said above, life coaching is a relationship; not an evening or a weekend spent in the glow of a charismatic leader with promises to sell. That workshop may be really fun, but don't expect it to change your life.

So ends my rant. Goddess grant me patience, wisdom and clarity to see the kernels of truth through the smoke and mirrors; and to graciously keep my mouth shut when someone mentions the law of attraction...

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. This made me laugh and nod knowingly. I think the Law of Attraction and The Secret and most other things like it are BS. I have been picturing myself traveling and speaking and writing for a living for two years now, and it's not any closer to happening. Why? Because I haven't worked for it. Well, at least not until recently.
    Also, thanks for the clarification on what a life coach is supposed to do as opposed to what is often done be snake oil salesmen claiming to be life coaches. Looking forward to more great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life coaches are full of themselves.

    ReplyDelete