Monday, April 19, 2010

Too Much Stuff

I had an epiphany last night.  I discovered that I was hemmed in by too much stuff.  It's not even nice stuff.  It's just stuff I've collected over the years.  So, I had this epiphany last night that I had to get rid of all this stuff because it was holding me back from thinking and doing other real stuff, because I worry about cleaning, storing, taking care of - all this stuff.

I've mentioned Bobby, who inherited me from Mr. Burns.  He and I had had a conversation about all the stuff in my garage.  He makes money from salvage, as well as from yard and handyman work, and he saw value in my stuff.

So, after I'd had my epiphany last night, who shows up at my door this morning?  Bobby!!!  Perfect timing!  He cleaned out everything from my garage except my garden tools, washer and dryer, and cat carriers.  It looks absolutely amazing.  I might even put my car in it.

Lesson learned?  I had a real, live cosmic connection with the universe about how my stuff was holding me back, and the universe had my back.  I got rid of stuff that was useless to me, but valuable to Bobby.  Win. Win.

I've started on all the stuff I have in the house, but that's for another post...

Peace.

4 comments:

  1. Very Buddhist, bravo! I've had that very feeling myself of late. Almost claustrophopic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Stuff can be hard to let go of until we detach ourselves from the ideas and memories the stuff represents. For example, I just sold my Nintendo Wii, which you can probably guess was a big deal for me. But I did it after I came to the realization that I haven't turned it on in 6 months. Even though it was just a game system going unused and collecting dust, it represented my desire to still be a guy who plays a lot of video games, which I don't anymore. Our stuff can be a reflection of our misguided ideals for ourselves, and only after we emotionally detach ourselves from it can we really see what we actually want and what's extraneous. Good post!

    By the way, this is David. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep only the things that bring you joy. My trouble lies in what to do with trash. I know where to donate usable items, old chemicals that I no longer use, I've gone organic, etc. What about the truely unusable trash? I hate to put anything in the city dump.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vowed this year to get rid of 1/2 of my "stuff." Now, I haven't done any sort of inventory or anything, but I'm seeing everything with a new eye. And just this weekend, I took 4 boxes of old SF magazines & sold them to the comic book store. Comic Book Store Guy said "Thanks for bringing these in. They belong in a place like this." And I was totally in agreement with that.

    Kimberlyn (who can't figure out how not to be anonymoose!)

    ReplyDelete