Friday, May 7, 2010

Language is Our Friend

I'm that annoying person who sends grammatically correct text messages.

I say this with great love, but with a great deal of annoyance. What the heck happened to English grammar and punctuation? I know many people who have smart, interesting, WISE things to say - however, their messages are garbled by bad spelling, non-existent punctuation and capitalization, and extremely limited sentence structure. What happened to the written English language?

I have friends who are teachers, and I don't blame them for a minute. I blame so many for this, but I'll get popped for being "culturally insensitive" if I name names. Our English language can be so poetic, and I personally hate to hear ugly language. "Where you at?" can make my good day, well, bad.

I know that, for myself, I can't take seriously posts from people who can't communicate well. I give bonus points for people who can express themselves eloquently (Dominique Browning - "http://www.slowlovelife.com/." Does that make me an elitist? If so, well, then, "Hell, yeah!"

I choose to live in a literate world. I choose beauty, elegance, literature, poetry and art. I will not apologize. I can see those "gems" in writings that are, shall we say, less than eloquent, but I have to try harder to see them, and give the benefit of the doubt. That takes extra effort. Most people won't put out that effort, and will, no doubt, lose the wisdom of a "less than literate" effort.

That is one of the reasons that I offer services as an editor - blog, web, speech, etc. Messages are best delivered in language that is music to the ear. Please, please, please let me help you.

Namaste!

2 comments:

  1. I whole heartedly agree with you on this. Thanks for being a fellow grammar nazi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeesssssss I still am trying to figure out where the origin of "do what" comes from when I have not asked a person to do anything....lucyeeee esplain please....

    ReplyDelete